Thursday, September 8, 2011

Singapore from another angle...

 Okay, having read about Cisela's comments on Singapore I have to say that I do not fully agree with her. So. I feel like sharing my impressions of this city with you: there are certainly good things to say about Singapore, especially when it comes to shopping. In fact, the city is a giant mall! You can head from one shopping center to another via flyovers or tunnels, so you do not even have to cross roads.

If you have lots of money to spend, this is the place. But on the other hand, this represents exactly what Singapore is all about: money and superficialty. You do not count as a person when you do not at least wear one branded piece of clothing, have the latest electronic gadgets or drive fancy cars (you can see more Ferraris, Porches and Lambos here than anywhere else). The 4C's rule: Cash, Car, Condominium and Credit Card. If you do not have them, you're out.

The superficiality is even reflected in the way the city is set up. Everything is planned, neat and predictable. You can see signs everywhere about what you are not allowed to do to and hear warnings, reminders and behavioural rules and regulations in public places or transport. Very friendly security staff will permanently tell you what is allowed and what is not.

Freedom of individual thinking or behaviour is not wanted, deviance punished (most of the time with redicilously high penalties). Definitly not a city I want to live in! Booooooring!

Wow! Hmmm...That was not nice to say, but to be honest, that was what I felt. However, there are nice places to see or discover, such as the Singapore Flyer, the world's largest spinning wheel, which offers you a great view over Singapore's skyline, especially at night. Or the Raffles Hotel which is known for inventing the Singapore Sling. Totally crazy is Marina Sands Sky Park, a hotel that has the shape of a gigantic ship overlooking Marina Bay offering a gigantic 150m infinity pool on top. A thing which finally made me smile was to find an original Würstelstand in Chinatown serving "Käsekrainer scharf mit Semmel" by Erich, a funny guy from Lower Austria.


Marina Sands Sky Park - as I call it the ship (I finally found the spot where Noah's Arche stranded...)


The Fullerton Hotel - one of the finest hotels at the Riverside


Home sweet home - as I asked Erich if he makes the sausages himself or imports them he told me: "des san oba scho vüh' frogn füa so an jungan bua..."

To sum it up, I have been there, I have seen it and I travelled on. Maybe I will be back when I'm a millionaire and am bored with normal life...

No comments:

Post a Comment